Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It looks like we might get something close to what we want - a classic Sonic game that's up to the Genesis S1-S2-S3&K games for the Nintendo DS: Sonic Rush (screenshots here). It seems to combine 2D gameplay for stages with 3D bosses, which is a very good idea, and judging for the pics and video I saw, the graphics are pretty good. I don't like the DS' broken/double screen one bit, but I might get used to it. And since I'm not getting a PSP even if it cost $50 and came with free pr0n (sony can SUCK IT!), if I'm ever getting a pocket console it'll be a DS, and I'll get to play this game.

In another news, I reviewed the Sonic emulation/secrets scene I was once part of, and I saw it has improved a lot since my days. Now there are great editors available for the Genesis Sonic games, and there are some modified ROMs or patches you can download if you own the original game for some new stages in the classic Sonic games. For example, Sonic 2 Long Version seems to be a good job, finishing the scrapped stages and adding a couple of new ones.

Senior Hostboard Member Cataferal's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

WRT Sonic Rush - That looks awesome. It also looks like Nights in parts, with Sonic flying through rings. Thanks to the quality of the handheld Sonic Advance games (which hark back to the style of the originals), I have confidence that Sonic Rush will also be a credit to the Sonic series. Now if only they could do this for the home consoles as well.

WRT Sonic 2 Long ver. - Im downloading that patch. It looks like they've put the time and effort into it, although i dont understand why people dont like Sonic 3&K as much. I always thought it was far bigger, faster, and epic, and as such deserves more attention.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

WRT S3&K: Same here. I like it better, but I found some people didn't like Sonic's look. However, I think this is more related to the alpha version of Sonic 2 we got ("Sonic 2 Beta"), which raised all sorts of questions and theories, and showed many things that didn't make it to the final Sonic 2. Because of this, Sonic 2 was the center of the Sonic secrets and hacking community, and in this game, they tried to recreate the Sonic 2's three lost stages: Hidden Palace Zone, Wood Zone, and Genocide City Zone.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I see. Well Sega are notorious for having loads of decent unreleased content. i really do wonder what we havent seen that we should have.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The development of Sonic 2 was a bit messy. They showed one thing as conceptual art, did a different thing during development, and ended up with yet different stages. They wasted, at least, a complete graphics set for a zone, 75% of an act's design, partial artwork for another zone, plans for at least two more stages, some objects and enemies, and one music track. It's common practice to modify the design while you're implementing it (the design phase ends at 80% of implementation, usually), but I think a complete graphics set is a bit too much. My theory is they ran out of space, and dropped Hidden Palace Zone, which they never tried to reuse. The final Sonic 2 ROM still has some HPZ data (but no graphics), showing the stage was further developed before being scrapped.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Someone in the Sonic community (Icy Guy) has acquired a concept art drawing of Genocide City Zone from a developer of Sonic 2 and he's holding a sprite contest with the winner getting to see it. I think he's just holding it ransom for his own devices. That's the problem with the Sonic community these days. There's just too much personal greed involved with it.

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Being greedy in something like this is retarded; this happens because the Sonic scene is too popular and full of kids, because of the "all ages" nature of the game. A pity.

Inactive Member One Classy Bloke's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

OMGWTF!? Is it just me, or did i read:

Presiding over the game's development will be none other than Yuji Naka, who, along with character designer Naoto Ohshima, created the original Sonic game for the Sega Genesis in 1991.

[...]

"With Sonic the Hedgehog, we have gone back to our starting point, more than 15-years ago, to reinvent the attitude and speed that made our hero a legend. The 'rebirth of Sonic'
    <font size="2" face="Verdana,sans-serif">? This cannot be... This is something very smart and demanded by customers, thus it cannot be true from Sega, but shit man, those screenshots look like in-game graphics, and those words are exactly the words I wanted to hear, as if I had written it in a fanfic.

This not only wins, looks awesome, and has instantly become my most anticipated game for the next generation, but if this game actually gets released, this marks sega's lowest minimum to my eyes, and from this point on I may start liking them better, at least for having realized once what their customers actually want, and as a matter of fact, it'd be the first Sega game I buy in years.

http://web.madritel.es/personales1/cmpm/ThisIsWin.jpg

<font color="#345E81" size="1">[ September 09, 2005 10:13 AM: Message edited by: -Wiseman- ]</font>

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Im giving them the benefit of the doubt; they did make 3 excellent Sonic Advance games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast